It is difficult to overestimate the importance of the chimney for the optimal operation of the thermal unit. The main task of this device is to bring combustion products from the furnace into the atmosphere. At the same time, the following tasks should be solved along the way:
- Getting even during the day heat mode in the house.
- Optimal fuel combustion mode, taking into account its economic expenditure.
- High-quality removal of combustion products from the furnace and preventing them from entering the residential area of the building.
The solution to this triune problem is ensured by the correct constructive solution of the thermal unit itself and its quality of maintenance during operation.
The chimney plays an important role. Several important factors determine the effectiveness of this device:
- The correct selection of the section and the size of the chimney. With a square or rectangular shape of the pipe, the flow of smoke gases, which rises the spiral, forms stagnant zones in the corners. They form a plaque of soot in the first place. The size of the canal should be one and a half times the size of the heating hole in the furnace, the minimum size of the square smoke channel is 140 x140 millimeters, and the area of the section round should be no less than square in the specified sizes. The total length of the smoke channel is required more than 5 meters. The length of the horizontal section is allowed no more than one meter.
To improve the traction in the smoke channel of the square or rectangular section, earbuds are often installed, which to some extent reduces the formation of soot.
- The material from which the chimney is made. In this case, two factors are important – the quality of the internal surface of the smoke channel and the thermal conductivity of the material from which it is made. In the first case, the effect of irregularities and reducing the flow speed affects the ability to deposit soot. The high thermal conductivity of the pipe material contributes to the rapid cooling of furnace gases, and therefore to increased condensation and settling of soot on the wall.
- The level of thermal losses in operation. Insufficient traction in the chimney negatively affects the combustion of fuel, which leads to increased planting of the smoke channel. And sunbathing soot in a pipe is often tantamount to a natural disaster.
The combination and interaction of these factors determine the success of the smoke-draining system.
We deliberately omit several rules and important factors of the chimney, concentrating the reader’s attention on the cause and effect of the formation of soot plaque.
The article describes various methods of cleaning the chimney from soot with your own hands, including not climbing on the roof.
- What is soot, and how it is formed
- On the prevention of chimney
- Chemical cleaning methods
- Mechanical ways to clean up soot
- Features of stainless steel pipe cleaning
- Cleaning the smoke drain from the tar deposits
- Cleaning the curved smoke drain from soot
- Cleaning the gas boiler or column smoke drain
- Tips and tricks
What is soot, and how is it formed?
Soot is a product of fuel combustion. It is contained in smoke gases in the form of fine unburned particles. In addition, they contain water vapors from moisture contained in the fuel, carbon monoxide (CO2), and other products of active fuel oxidation. At high temperatures, a chemical reaction resulting from which the vapors of salt and charcoal acids are formed.
Hot smoke condenses on the inside in the form of oily, foul-smelling liquid. It gets solid non-burnt substances, resulting from which, over time, condensate turns into tarred sediment. If you do not comply with several rules for the use of the thermal unit, this sediment accumulates quite quickly, reducing the section of the chimney until its complete closure.
It should be noted that certain conditions are needed for condensation. One is the temperature at which it starts. There is even a term for this – “dew point.” Obviously, when the chimney is warmed up, it will spread higher over the chimney.
There may be a situation where the “dew point” is outside the chimney, and condensation already occurs in open space. This suggests that it is impossible to avoid the formation of soot on the walls of the chimney. But a properly arranged system of draining furnace gases significantly increases the frequency of purges.
On the prevention of chimney
In the process of development, the heating systems became more and more perfect. Some techniques have been developed to reduce soot education, such as: significantly.
- Insulation of the chimney. This is done in the following ways: plastering the surface of brick pipes; cover of the outer surface with various roll or slab insulations, followed by the installation of protection from foil film, metal sheet, and other materials; Use of special insulated blocks with ceramic pipes for chimney device; protective devices to shelter the exit hole of the chimney from the debris and nesting of birds; use of two-layer “sandwich tubes” made of metal with an insulation layer.
The purpose of all these activities is to create the conditions for rapid warming of the smoke channel, causing the dew point in the process to rise higher, up to the exit to the environment.
- The largest amount of soot is formed on the curves of the chimney, so the design should use no more than one knee if necessary to change its direction.
- When the chimney is connected, the inner surface is necessarily collected to reduce the number of irregularities that contribute to the deposition of soot.
- Use of chemical or biological methods to clean the inner surface of the chimneys.
Chemical cleaning methods
How to heat the oven to clean the chimney? These substances include:
- naphthalene. It is brought to the surface of the fuel of a well-heated furnace. In this case, mothballs evaporate, and their vapors destroy the whole layer of soot plaque. It is carried out in the form of flakes into the atmosphere. The downside of the method is the unpleasant smell of this drug, remaining indoors. Therefore, it is not used to clean pipes where an open fireplace is used (such as a fireplace).
- Made with simple and affordable ingredients, the mixture is blue. Let’s familiarize ourselves with the composition:
- 1/5 copper vitriol;
- 1/7 nitrate;
- 1/2 medium-fraction coke.
The mixture is incubated in a well-heated furnace. As in the first case, Evaporation products destroy a layer of soot, leaving smoke gases outwards. The amount of mixture in the case for one cleaning is about 20 grams, the frequency of use 1-2 times per month. The door of the furnace after the mixture is introduced should be tightly covered.
- To combat the sediments of soot are used wood from aspen, which is brought into the maximum heated furnace in 1-2 medium-sized logs. The combustion temperature of such firewood is higher than that of the conventional fuel, and minor deposits of soot are burned right during the fire. Insignificant deposits, this method is not used to prevent a fire. It is recommended to produce regularly with frequency a couple of times in 7 days.
- A walnut shell. Its combustion also occurs at a significant temperature, and the principle of action is the same in the previous case. A single dose of the shell should be no more than three liters.
- Salt is stone. It is in the furnace when the oven is lit in the amount of 1-2 spoons. Evaporation softens a layer of soot in the pipe, exfoliating from the walls and falling into the drive.
- Potato peeling. They are used by bringing up to 5 kilograms dry to the furnace. The pairs of starch effectively soften the soot, and it falls off the pipe walls literally in pieces. The tool is used as you accumulate.
It can also be used to clean the chimney starch in the amount of one spoon per furnace.
- A chemical to protect smoke pipes. They are produced by industry purposefully to protect smoke pipes from carbon monoxide and soot. The forms of production range from imitation of firewood or briquettes to powder or liquid compounds. Point to some of the most popular ones:
- “The log is a chimney sweep.” It is made in the form of small briquettes. It contains ammonium sulfate, phosphorus oxide, coal wax, as well as other chemically active components. During the heating season, it is enough to use 1-2 logs to keep the chimney in good condition. The product excludes the formation of soot at the furnace, and the old tan is snug and removed from the walls. The form of the issue is briquettes for cleaning the chimney. Not to be confused with the means of a log-purity, which is also an effective means – a purifier.
- “Dominick” – powdered substance, contains 5 bags of 15 grams in one package. The basis is copper chloride, which contributes to the flame-free combustion of fire and soot at a small temperature without flames. It is recommended to use at the thickness of the layer of Nagar no more than 2 millimeters. When using the tool, you need to ventilate the room thoroughly.
- Anti-carbon chemical composition – (PCC). The product is burned directly in the bags in the furnace. It will take about 200 grams—1 t. wood.
The tools for removing carbon monoxide are available in stores in a wide range, and you can always choose the right option for any situation.
When using purchased products from the planting of chimneys, it is necessary to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations, especially in terms of safety requirements.
Mechanical ways to clean up soot
This is usually a cardinal intervention and is made at least once a year at the beginning of the heating season. This is due to the need to remove a layer of soot and debris caused by the wind. And sometimes you have to get and bird’s nests, which appeared during the downtime of the thermal unit.
Mechanically cleaned is done from the top of the pipe using various tools and devices, both manually and using drives from an electric drill or chainsaw.
If the pipe is heavily clogged with soot, the initial punching should be made with a clean core for the collapse of the carbon monoxide, and then continue with ruffs and brushes to clean walls.
Before starting work, it is advisable to heat the oven with potato peels or starch to soften the soot. After cooling the furnace, its surface should be covered with a wet cloth to prevent soot in the room when it collapses; if it happens – cleaning the room will take more than one month. It is also necessary to close the door tightly and blow and open the shipper completely.
Work should be done using a roofing ladder, if necessary – to install a fence. You should not take strong drugs before rising to altitude. Drinking alcohol is excluded categorically. Otherwise, the chimney sweep risks his health.
All work should be done in dry, windless weather during daylight hours.
How to clean the chimney
Heating a house, cottage or bathhouse is rarely without a stove or boiler. For those in winters, this equipment is optimal: it can provide the required heat. But both furnaces and boilers require maintenance, and one of the mandatory procedures is cleaning the chimney.
Why the chimney is overgrown with soot
The process of burning fuel is a process of oxidation, and this requires oxygen and high temperature. If at least one of these conditions is not met, soot appears – it is the result of insufficient carbon oxidation. Externally, the presence of soot can be determined by the color of smoke – if it is black, it contains particles of soot, but most of it settles in the chimney, especially in the places of turns.
Now a little about what might be the cause of active soot education:
- Raw wood. If you throw uns dried wood into the fire, it will dry first. It takes a lot of energy, which strongly reduces the temperature in the furnace. We get carbon underheating, a large cloud of black smoke, and, after a while of using raw fuel, we will have a clogged chimney.
The use of raw firewood leads to the accumulation of Nizhny plaque
Burning garbage – plastic and plastic bags. It’s better to throw it in the trash. Also, a lot of soot is formed when heated by pruning plywood, DSP, OSP. The glue contained in them very quickly clogs the chimney – for two months of use of such fuel, the chimney can grow completely.
Insufficient traction. There may be two options – the air supply is stopped to prolong the combustion process (transfer wood to smallest), or the chimney has insufficient height. Well, the traction may get worse because the pipe has already accumulated a lot of soot.
The rate of chimney soot overgrowth also depends on the variety of firewood. Resin spruce and pine in this regard – not the best choice, but to heat expensive oak or other deciduous rocks is not all have the opportunity. In any case, you can make sure that the wood was dry. It is necessary to build a wood-burning to fit the stock for 2-3 years. You can then use the most seasoned and dried logs and let the fresh ones lie and reach the condition.
How to clean the chimney from soot
There are three ways to clean the chimney:
Cleaning the chimney with a chimney
- mechanical. In the chimney shoved ruff, with which knocked soot from the walls. The downside of the method is that you need to have access to the pipe, which is not always easy. Not everyone can climb on the roof, and cleaning from below requires flexible rods and access. Another unpleasant point: all the contents are descending, you have to collect and take it out, and then long wash the stove or fireplace from soot. Therefore, before the start of cleaning, put some containers in which everything will fall.
- Chemical cleaning of the chimney – powders and briquettes (logs). When the system warms up, the powders pour into the fire. The logs are laid at the furnace. The substances contained in them soften the soot. It gradually flies into the pipe but can fall and clog the passage altogether. So these remedies are best used for prevention when soot is still a little.
- Folk methods. The problem of the overgrowth of soot chimneys is not new, and our ancestors were able to cope with it without chemistry. There were, of course, chimney sweepers, but they worked in cities, and services cost a lot. However, the problem was dealt with, with straightforward means – salt or potato peeling.
There is another crucial solution – to go to the firefighters and call specialists. They are no longer called pipe cleaners but perform the same functions, however, by other means. The solution is not bad. They know their job because soot is explosive, admission only to those who do not give. The only negative is the cost of such services.
Mechanical means for cleaning chimneys
Cleaning the chimney with the help of ruffs has been used for centuries, and they are still there today. At the end of a long elastic and flexible tether is a brush-ruff. The diameter is individually the size of the chimney. Under the ruff can be tied a small metal ball – to down the gun went easier. This structure is lowered into the chimney, raised, lowered again, and raised again. So until the passage is cleared. Everything works simply – bristles soot from the pipe.
This chimney cleaning has one feature: if there is good traction, most crushed soot flies into the pipe. Therefore, first, it is necessary to get attached so that involuntary movement does not fall off the roof, and secondly, to put on protective glasses and respirators. The gloves will not hurt either, but they are needed so that the rope does not injure hands.
If you decide to make a ruff to clean the chimney yourself, hang the ball and center it at the bottom. Gears of wrenches do not fit – sooner or later, they become a soraspor in the chimney. You will be lucky if the gun manages to remove the pipe indiscriminately.
It is not always a chimney that can be cleaned from above – the sandwich pipe can rise several meters above the roof. You can’t put a ladder on it. You can’t get there any other way. In this case, the chimney is cleaned from below. To do this, there are ruffs on flexible rods. Fragments of the barbell are connected. The ruff moves along the pipe. In this case, some of the soot is also carried away by traction, but some are poured down, and this too should be taken into account. Professional chimney sweepers use special vacuum cleaners for collection (not household, as soot is explosive); self-cleaning will have to collect everything by hand.
Cleaning the chimney from below
If you have a fireplace, everything is simple – access is free, but it is more difficult if it is a boiler or a bath stove. If the chimney has a glass to collect condensation, removing it, you can easily run the ruff into the pipe. If there are no revisions, you will have to try to get to the pipe through the furnace. If that’s not possible, you’ll have to dismantle the chimney. Then it is better to remake it, putting a tee with glass immediately.
Tools for chemical cleaning of the chimney
It is possible to clean the chimney with chemical means until it is too clogged. If the pipe is brick, these tools help make mechanical cleaning rarer how an independent remedy can be used for ceramic chimneys or stainless steel. All these powders or logs to remove soot from the pipe are preventative. It is not always possible to clear the chimney from a large amount of soot. There were cases when the soot, which fell after burning the powder, clogged the chimney tightly. I had to take the ruff and clean it by hand.
Despite these shortcomings, the means are used, and here’s why: the soot that is located in a boiler, bath furnace, or in smoke channels is softened. Breaking them by hand is a bit of pleasure, and regular use does a good job of coping with the problem.
There are plenty of tools for cleaning chimneys from soot in stores, but here are the most popular:
- It’s a comedian. It is a Czech-made drug. In the package are paper bags with packages packaged in their pellets. This is a means to remove soot laid in a well-heated oven without tearing the bag. A whole paper bag put on firewood, tear to pour out the remedy is not necessary. According to the reviews, it works fine. The most effective soot layer is no more than 2 mm – cleans the chimney to clean walls.
Powder to clean the chimneys “Cominichek.”
Polen to clean the chimney. Most often called “Trump,” but there are other names. Produced by different companies, because the boxes are different in design. Regardless of the manufacturer, the rules of use are the same: a log is laid in a well-heated oven to clean the chimneys. In the combustion process contained in the smoke, substances soften the soot, and it disappears or falls.
The log to clean the chimneys
Powder products for cleaning pipes from domestically produced soot. There are many, many, and many different names. Most of it contains the word “trump cleaner”: Merry chimney sweeper, pipe cleaner, pipe-cleaner, etc.
After using all chemicals, the room must be ventilated, the stove or fireplace cleaned. Note that soot can crumble for a couple of days after processing – fly away from the remains.
Folk methods of cleaning the chimney
The easiest way to prevent soot formation is to flood the already heated oven with aspen wood. They burn scorching flames, soot in the chimney burns. The action is effective but dangerous – if soot has accumulated a lot when ignited, it explodes and can break the pipe.
Lay a couple of logs at the furnace, and the preventative cleaning of the chimney from soot is made.
There are safer folk remedies with which the chimney cleaning is both efficient and safe. Half a kilogram of salt or about a bucket of potato peeling is added to the melted and well-heated oven. Cleaning is better to dry or add raw little by little to not bring down the temperature in the furnace. The action is about the same as when using chemicals, only a little softer – soot flies out of the pipe for another day three.
How to clean the chimney from soot – grandfather method, 100% result!
The lack of traction can overshadow the heating of the furnace or fireplace. The most common cause of this trouble – clogging the chimney products of incomplete combustion of firewood, simply soot. Without proper cleaning of the chimney, the work of the heating device is dangerous for your life, as the smoke simply will not have time to remove the system and accumulate in the living quarters! So how to clean the chimney, and is it necessary to resort to the help of professional stoves and chimney sweepers? Read about it in our article.
Why does the chimney even require cleaning?
When logs crackle cheerfully in the fireplace, it seems to us that they burn completely, leaving behind only a handful of ash in the furnace and taking away into the chimney light smoke. But this is far from the case: the conditions of burning in the furnace and fireplace do not allow the wood to burn completely, and together with the smoke in the chimney is carried away soot. It is gray or black and is close to coal in composition. Particles of soot settle on the pipe walls, especially in the places of turns, forming a thick layer of loose plaque.
The raid formed on the walls of the chimney
When using softwood firewood, water vapors and resin are released, strongly binding the soot in a hard crust. The pipe opening gradually narrows, the thrust deteriorates, and the layer of soot becomes thicker. Sooner or later, the traction disappears altogether, and this condition requires immediate cleaning of the chimney.
There are several ways to clean the chimney:
- Mechanical, using ruff;
- Chemical, with the help of special tablets or liquids;
- preventive, using folk or modern combustion catalysts.
Which of the ways is right for you – it will become clear when you read the article.
Mechanical way to clean the chimney
Mechanical cleaning consists of removing soot with the help of metal ruff, which is injected into the chimney and, making rotational and progressive movements, scrapes the soot from the surface of the chimney. The method has several advantages: it is effective against blockages and solid deposits, cheap and quite simple, does not require special knowledge and skills. At the same time, manual cleaning of the chimney through the chimney – quite dangerous occupation, because you have to climb on the roof.
What is a ruff?
It is a twisted rope with a wire made of steel, equipped with a torsion handle on one side and a wire or plastic nozzle. The length of the cable can be different and depends on the length of the chimney. Ersh is inserted into the pipe with a nozzle while rotating his handle. In this case, the rotation is transferred to the nozzle, and it mechanically scrapes a layer of soot from the pipe’s walls.
Ersh for the chimney
How to clean the chimney with a ruff:
- Completely open all the catches and bumps that block the traction in your oven or fireplace. Under the chimney at the mouth of the oven or in the fireplace, place a container for soot – it will be quite a lot. The open fireplace stove can be curtained with unnecessary fabric not to soil the furniture and floors in the room.
- Observing the safety technique and using the safety belt, climb to the roof. Remove the headband from the pipe. Gently insert the cleaning rope into the pipe and try to push it some distance. Rotate the handle on the cable at the same time. If the length of the chimney is more than 3 meters, it is more convenient to do it together – one person directs the rope into the pipe, the second rotates the handle, standing at some distance.
Follow the safety rules when cleaning the chimney
Ersh to clean the chimney
Russian furnace with a complex chimney, including several turns at a 90-degree angle, to clear the ruff through the chimney from the roof is sometimes impossible – the length of such a chimney is quite large, and the ruff stubbornly does not want to pass through the turns. In this case, you can combine cleaning the pipe with mechanical cleaning of the chimney.
Is it possible to clean a complex winding chimney with the help of ruff?
Of course, you can. To do this, clearly follow this instruction:
- Carefully examine the oven. On the side and back of its walls, you will find doors designed to clean the chimney. They can be smeared or painted, but they will need to be opened. Place a bucket or other container under each door.
Doors on the chimney oven
Erik for cleaning from a plastic bottle and a metal cord
The process of cleaning the chimney
Sometimes, instead of chimney doors, stoves install removable bricks. It is not recommended to take them out and put them yourself without special skills; it is better to consult specialists for cleaning such a furnace.
Chemical method of cleaning the chimney
You don’t have to climb on the roof and get your hands dirty for regular cleaning. It is enough to buy special products in tablets, pellets, or liquid to clean the chimney. The principle of its action is to break down the binders of soot substances, after which form a hard crust, it turns into a lightly crumbling powder, burning at the bottom of the oven.
Special chemistry for cleaning the chimney
The method of using these means is straightforward: they are placed on firewood at the next furnace and set on fire, carefully taping for better burnout of fallen soot. In this case, you should follow all the recommendations specified on the package. The chemical method can also be used to pre-soften the soot layer before mechanical cleaning.
Clean the chimney from soot by popular means
Prevention of blockages and soot deposits in the chimney can be carried out in several ways:
- Insulation of the pipe. This method is based on reducing the condensation of water vapor in the pipe at the furnace. In the cold season, temperature differences on the inside and outer surface of the pipe can cause moisture and resins to deposit on it, which binds the soot into solid sediment. The use of “sandwich” pipes with non-flammable insulation reduces condensation formation.
- Regular use of combustion catalysts in the form of tablets or special logs of specific wood with additives designed to clean the chimney – will reduce the deposition of soot on its walls.
- If you heat the oven with firewood, from time to time add to them dry aspen logs: aspen burns with the formation of a strong high flame, destroying the binders of soot and burning it, and with the active rise of smoke, all the soot settled in the chimney simply flies into the pipe. It is better to do it in winter. Soot fell on the snow and did not get much dirty roof.
Timely cleaning the chey using these methods will make the furnace and fireplace a pleasant activity – it is enough to bring to dry wood a match, and now in your fireplace dancing live fire, warming and giving comfort.
How to clean the chimney in the oven of a private house
The chimneys can be clogged with soot if they are not cleaned for a long time. In order Toe chimney, you can turn to professional cleaners or do everything yourself.
What is soot
When burning, there is a reaction of oxidation. The carbon that is part of the fuel is oxidized to carbon dioxide. Still, if there is a significant lack of oxygen during combustion, carbon is converted into a dangerous carbon monoxide gas.
What causes soot blockages
Some causes contribute to the clogging of smoke channels:
- When burning damp wood;
- The presence of horizontal sections of the pipe;
- In cases where the walls of the smoke channel have a rough surface;
- incineration of various garbage and waste.
Harm from chimney clogging
Soot and soot particles are harmful to humans and harm health. Regular inhalation of soot by a person can cause pulmonary diseases, the appearance of chronic bronchitis, exacerbation of other chronic diseases. Soot can cause ischemia.
Attention! Especially soot in the air is dangerous for pregnant women and children. Constant soot in the air can cause negative consequences, up to mutations and all sorts of organ defects.
Why you need to clean the chimney and the oven
Periodically, you need to clean chimneys and furnaces. If the chimney is clogged, the furnace will start to smoke. Carbon monoxide is dangerous for human health and life. Also, accumulated soot and dust can become the main causes of fires. After all, it is not for nothing that so many fires happen because of the accumulated soot. That is why the chimney must be cleaned from time to time.
How often is it necessary to clean the chimney
To avoid problems with clogging, it is necessary to clean the chimney regularly. The frequency of cleaning depends on some factors.
- Any furnaces need to be cleaned as soon as they are installed or repaired.
- Equipment that is used in certain seasons should be cleaned before and at the end of intensive operation.
- Brick chimneys should be cleaned once a quarter.
- Gas equipment must be cleaned several times a year.
- Chimneys made from other materials need to be cleaned at least once a year.
- Heating and cooking stoves require cleaning at least three times a season.
Mechanical and manual cleaning
Materials and tools
Mechanical pipe cleaning was known many centuries ago. Manual cleaning requires materials:
- A special ruff to clean the smoke channel;
- A sturdy rope or flexible rope;
- Metal hard brushes;
- metal cargo (usually in the shape of a ball);
- metal scraper to remove stains.
How to make cleaning equipment yourself
Some people prefer to clean the chimney from soot with their own hands. To do this, you need to prepare special equipment. You can make the same ruff with your own hands.
- To make it, you need a plastic bottle, from which cut off 150 ml of the top. Small incisions should be made along the top.
- In the center of the cork, you need to drill a hole. Twist the cork to the neck. The resulting incisions bend like petals.
- Make a second one of the same bottle brushes.
- You should also find the right cargo. The weight of the cargo should be such that the brush could pass freely through the smoke channel.
- The selected cargo should be tied with a flexible rope or a strong rope capable of withstanding the weight of the cargo. End the rope to pass through the hole of the cork.
- Cut the bottles insert one into another. Thus, you will get a bottle cylinder – a brush.
Cleaning the pipe from the side of the roof
Instructions on how to clean the chimney in the furnace of a private house from the roof:
- Cleaning manually and mechanically can only be done in warm and dry weather. To prevent soot from entering the room, it is necessary to hang the furnace and hatches with a damp cloth.
- First, you need to remove the headband and inspect the smoke channel. If there is heavy pollution, you can wipe out the garbage with a broom.
- Further, into the smoke channel, you need to lower the ruff with the bound cargo.
The process is time-consuming and difficult. Before you get to work, you need to wear work clothes, shoes on a thick sole, a helmet, and glasses.
Cleaning from the side of the stove
Step-by-step instructions on how to clean the chimney from the side of the stove at the cottage or in the bath:
- First, you need to unscrew the stub and clean it from the garbage and soot.
- You need to carefully fix the brush and clean it, moving the brush up.
- The crumbled soot should be immediately removed so that it did not spread around the room.
This method of cleaning is not suitable for fireplaces. Naftalin must be applied to the surface of the fuel, which the tenants are going to melt the stove. When heated, mothballs evaporate, and their vapors contribute to the destruction of soot and plaque. The downside of mothball cleaning is the sharp and specific smell.
This mixture consists of 1/5 part of copper vitriol, 1/7 part of nitrate, and 1/2 part of the coke of the middle faction. The resulting product should be applied to fuel. During the combustion process, the mixture will dissolve. Couples can destroy soot.
It is a pipe-cleaning tool, which includes: coal wax, phosphorus oxide, ammonium sulfate. The presented tool is easy to use and well eliminates the accumulated soot.
This powdered drug is based on copper chloride. One package contains five sachets. It helps with minor clogging. After use, it is necessary to ventilate the room.
This acronym means “anti-anti-carbon chemical composition.” It is used for small clogging pipes. You need to burn PCCs without unpacking, right in the bags.
Biological cleaning features
Some homeowners wonder how to clean the stove in the country, smoke, and smoke. There are mechanical, chemical, and biological (they are also called folk) cleaning products. The great advantage of biological cleaning is that it can be used in any weather.
There are three main and common biological cleaning methods special products and products, using certain firewood as fuel, and sprinkled with salt.
People’s means of cleaning smoke channels
A simple and effective means of getting rid of soot is boiling water, which before melting the stove should be drained into the chimney.
You can use both table and stone salt. It is enough to sprinkle salt on top of the wood and light them. Cleaning with salt is suitable if the clogging is not strong.
Cleaning with potato peels is suitable for summer houses and permanent premises. Potato peeling should be placed in a well-heated furnace and burn them. Cleaning potatoes cope well with minor blockages.
Use of special firewood
The home and effective way of cleaning pipes is considered to be heating aspen or alder wood. This wood burns quickly and, when burning, emits special fumes that contribute to the detachment of soot growths.
How to clean a stainless steel chimney
Stainless steel ovens are rarely clogged and clogged with soot, but the pipe must be cleaned immediately in the case of blockage. You can try to disassemble the chimney and clean it. You can use a special round brush, working from the electric drill.
Features of cleaning the curved chimney
Cleaning the oven from soot with your own hands is quite possible. Curved pipes are rare. When installing them, it is mandatory to have special hatches (holes) with which you can access other elements structure elements blockages
To avoid frequent and severe blockages, you need to follow some recommendations:
- It is not recommended to use coniferous wood for burning because it emits a lot of resin;
- In the furnace or fireplace should not burn garbage, except for the fuel intended for heating;
- You need to light the stove with dry wood;
- periodically you need to burn aspen or alder logs.
If you follow these recommendations, there should be no problems and questions about cleaning from soot.
To clean the oven from soot, observing the rules and conditions of safety? Soot in the air has a very bad effect on the lungs, so when working the stove and pipes must use the means of protection: gloves, glasses, bandage on the nose.
If you plan a mechanical cleaning on the roof, be sure to wear tight, stable shoes on a solid sole. You can not clean the roof in bad weather: rain, snow, wind.
Once the clean-up is complete, the fallen soot must be removed: manually or with a vacuum cleaner. After processing with chemicals, you need to thoroughly ventilate the room.
Cleaning the chimneys is a natural and necessary means of purification. Therefore, every person using stove equipment should know how clean the stove and chimney from the fire and soot.
How to clean the chimney from soot with your own hands
There are two ways to clean the chimney from soot with your own hands – mechanical and chemical. In the first case, the ruff is used. It is placed in a canal and removed from the inner walls. This is not always possible. Access to the channel needs to be made public. It is desirable that it was direct. Turns, horizontal areas, and cross-section changes make work difficult, sometimes making it impossible. The second option is active reagents. They are put on the stove on burning wood. The released gas softens the hard sediment. Part of it goes into a gaseous state. Some of it is showered. This method is well suited for prevention at home to avoid large blockages. He can’t handle the thick layer. Over time, soot merges with the inner surface, filling microfractures and pores in brickwork or reinforced concrete. It has to be manually removed. People’s means are still used. Despite their simplicity, they allow you to cope with the plaque quickly.
All about self-cleaning the chimney from soot
Causes of blockages and how to avoid them
There are only two reasons.
- Evaporation in cooking. The amount of solid sediment depends on what is cooked in the oven. Problems create evaporation from the boiler or grill. Steam saturated with food particles rises with se, gradually cools, and settles in the form of condensation. Drops penetrate the porous surface of bricks and reinforced concrete, captivating its contents. Then they go into a gaseous state, and the sediment remains. A certain number of particles settle when they come into contact with the walls.
- Soot, which is formed by the natural operation of the fireplace and the gas boiler connected to the mine. Its number increases markedly due to the poor quality of fuel and faulty stove. For it to work properly, it is necessary to create a normal craving. The strength of the flow depends on the height of the pipe and the temperature difference inside and outside the room. To understand why this is so important, you need to remember the school course of physics and chemistry. Burning is a process that cannot take place without oxygen. This gas is one of the main catalysts. The fire fades if you block the flow of fresh air to it. If the height is insufficient or too small, the oxygen is weak. In such conditions, instead of a bright flame, there is a slow smoldering with the release of a large amount of smoke. To solve the problem, you will have to calculate the section chimney sectional design and rebuild it properly.
If the question of how to clean the chimney in a private house arises too often, you need to look for the cause, not only in a faulty hood. You should learn how to handle the hearth properly. The main source of pollution is soot. It is the main reason that the pipes of a residential building require cleaning. Its number increases when the polymer and wood-chip materials containing glue – plywood, DSP, MDF are burned. The smooth is created by raw and resinous wood. Most of the resins contain spruce and pine logs. Before using, firewood should be thoroughly dried. Keep them better in a dry, ventilated place.
How to understand that on the surface of the pipe accumulated soot
It settles even with the right furnace. The quality of fuel only affects its quantity. Only preventive measures are saved from it. If they have not been carried out for a long time, they most likely, managed to form a thick layer. To understand how big it is, you can scrape the surface with a spatula or brush.
- There is no traction in the clogged chimney. If there is a lot of smoke in the room, it is necessary to take urgent measures even in winter. A large piece of Nagar can fall into the hearth and throw burning coals on the floor.
- Another sign is black thick smoke. In the absence of plaque, it has a light color.
- The lighter the flame, the higher its temperature. In normal operation, it is yellow. When the thrust deteriorates, less oxygen from the room enters the furnace, and the flame blushes. It doesn’t go up that high.
- Plaque can create an unpleasant odor. Sometimes its pieces can be seen in the hearth. Inside the layering, gases accumulate. One of the signs that it is time to clean up is loud claps in the chimney.
Mechanical cleaning with a tether and ruff
Such measures are taken in case of severe blockages, as well as when the clean-up has not been done for a long time. The mechanical method is used once a year at the beginning of the heating season. Over the summer, garbage accumulates inside. Basically, it’s branches and leaves. Sometimes there are bird nests.
Tools to work
- Ersh of metal or polymers – it is selected by the distance between the inner walls. The tool should be 1.5-2 times wider than the channel section. The cargo is hung to it so that the device does not get stuck during the passage of difficult areas. The width of the cargo is half the size of the pass section. The device is lowered down on a flexible cable with an arm for rotation or a sturdy rope. Ersh can be made independently from a plastic bottle, making vertical incisions on it with a step of 2 cm and bending them to the sides.
- The container for collecting fallen pieces of soot – is installed in the hearth.
- Brush on a rigid telescopic handle. It is more convenient to process the surface near the exit.
- A metal scraper.
- A vacuum cleaner or a special vacuum cleaner.
- An electric lantern. Also, use a light bulb on a long cord, closed by a mesh.
The work is carried out with insurance, protecting from falling from the roof. The safety rope is fixed on a reliable basis, for example, on a brick pipe. The railings on the perimeter of the roof will not withstand the weight of the person. Alcohol and strong medicines should not be taken before the rise. Feeling good should be good. If you feel dizzy, there is a risk of falling off and falling.
You will need gloves, a respirator and glasses – there will be a lot of caustic dust. Shoes should not be slippery. Works are carried out in dry weather during daylight hours. It’s easy to slip on a wet roof. The wind at the top is felt more strongly. It is better to choose windless weather.
The fireplace should cool completely from its bottom rake ash and remnants of firewood.
The area is hung with a damp cloth so that the dust does not get into the room. Before cleaning the chimney, the scriber latch is opened. It blew, and the furnace is tightly closed.
How to remove soot from the surface
The load on the cable knocks down the thick layer. It would help if you acted with caution so as not to damage the surface. The cargo should not be rocked. Available areas are scraped. Then the ruff is submerged down. The brush removes the thin layers.
The fireplace and open stove can be passed from below. The rope, in this case, will not be able to use. The depth of penetration depends on the length of the handle.
The metal surface is a round brush. Steel and aluminum hold less soot. The surface is easy to damage, so the cargo is used only as a last resort. To rotate the brush, an electric drill is connected to it through a cable. This method is good for sandwich pipes.
The inn is burned with a blowtorch, removing the pipe. Stainless steel withstands high temperatures without deformations.
Clean up the channel with special trains
It is difficult to remove the tarred plaque mechanically. It is easier to dissolve it in chemically active substances contained in special drugs. Hansa, for example, is suitable for removing tar deposits. The product should be burned in the furnace every day. After a certain period, the interval between burning is increased. Interval information is on the packaging.
The chemical method is not able to cope with the thick injected carbon monoxide. It is more convenient than mechanical, and it is easier to use for preventive purposes. Often combine both methods. First, solid deposits dissolve chemistry. Then, when they soften, they are removed with a brush and ruff.
The funds decompose for a long time. To prevent them from creating a smell, their residue can be removed after treatment. They should be used when the windows are open.
- “The Tube Cleaner” is produced in briquettes. It is put in the fire of the heated furnace. Smoke dissolves plaque. Its part turns into gas.
- “Cominilek” – the tool is produced in the Czech Republic. It is a packet of pellets. They put it in the fire. At high temperatures, the pellets emit dissolving substances. This solution is suitable for a layer of soot no more than 2 mm. Powders are produced in bags. They differ little in their characteristics.
How to clean chimneys in the furnace by folk means
Folk recipes are less effective but are good for prevention or pre-preparation before mechanical exposure.
- Aspen logs – they are put in a heated hearth. 1-2 logs are enough. Aspen burns at a higher temperature than pine, spruce, or birch. Its flame burns solid sediments. The method can be used for prevention once a week.
- The walnut shell operates on the same principle. You’re going to need one three-liter jar of the shell.
- Stone salt – when burning in the hearth, you need to throw 1-2 tablespoons. Salt softens the hard plaque, corroding it.
- Naftalin is just one small package. The area needs to be well warmed up. When burned, mothballs turn into light flakes, which the hot stream lifts and brs out. The stand-out vapors create an unpleasant smell that impregnates the room. The windows will have to be opened. Naftalin is rarely used in fireplaces and stoves with open furnaces.
- Potato peels – first, they are dried. It will take 3-5 kg. The husk contains a lot of moisture, increasing its mass, so it initially has to take twice as much. Drying is produced in the sun or with the help of a heating device. The husk contains starch. It softens the plaque and contributes to its detachment from the inner walls. Before cleaning the chimney with potato peels, the hearth does not need to be heated for a long time. The active component is released at a low temperature.
How to clean a chimney in a private house: mechanical and chemical cleaning
Any boiler will eventually lead the owner to a sensitive question of how to clean the chimney. After all, soot and debris brought by the wind can affect the productivity of the furnace or other equipment, and solid fuel will burn worse.
I want to understand the main causes of clogging, who should deal with the process, and the frequency of manipulation. It will be interesting to consider several options for the self-fulfillment of work.
- 1 Why chimneys are clogged
- 2 Consequences from untreated chimneys
- 3 Symptoms of blockage
- 4 Who should clean the chimney
- 4.1 In a private home
- 4.2 In an apartment building
- 5 Cleaning frequency
- 6 How to clean the chimney with your own hands
- 6.1 Mechanical cleaning of the chimney from soot with your hands
- 6.2 How to clean the chimney chemically
- 6.3 Cleaning the curved chimney from soot
- 6.4 People’s ways of cleaning chimneys and soot fireplaces
- 7 How to reduce pollution to a minimum
Why chimneys are clogged
There are several reasons for traction in the furnace. Here are the main factors causing such excesses:
- Laying in the furnace of raw or tarred logs.
- Burning various garbage.
- There are horizontal areas in the masonry.
- Insufficient airflow in the furnace.
If the furnace functions properly, the solid fuel will burn completely, the pipe should go to carbon dioxide, vapors, and small elements of ash.
But in problematic devices can occur harmless deposits, such as resins and soot, large volumes of these substances can disrupt the outflow of smoke or make the passage minimal.
Condensation is also dangerous, especially when it accumulates on the walls a lot. A mixture of harmful components literally enters into a rough surface and gradually narrows the channel. Such accumulations lead to clean-up, and it is necessary to do it regularly.
Consequences from untreated chimneys
Experts say that regardless of the material from which the device can withdrawcombustion products, the risk of accumulation of substances can not be rejected. This includes these types of pipes:
Even chimneys made of sandwich pipes, which are considered modern and very practical, need regular cleaning.
On a rough surface, such deposits will accumulate much faster, but smooth pipes also need to be serviced in a time on timeless carefully. Troubles can happen differently, if not to give the issue of cleaning proper attention, the fire of soot in the chimney can not be avoided, it is caused by large deposits in it small unburned particles.
Narrowing the passage is also dangerous. Smoke and harmful combustion products due to lack of proper traction will get into the room. Not only furniture but also people living in the house can suffer from this excess.
Symptoms of blockage
Of the main signs that soon the owner will have to call specialists or to clean the chimney in the bath or other building from the accumulation can be attributed:
- The traction in the oven or fireplace has worsened.
- The flames are constantly fading.
- Difficulties in trying to set fire to fuel.
- The color of the flame changes periodically.
- The presence of sharp smells.
Noticing one of these factors, we can assume that the channel needs to be checked as a matter of urgency, and after these manipulations, it is possible to clean up.
Who should clean the chimney
The profession of chimney sweepers has existed for a long time, along with other specialties today. Experts have modern devices for faster clean-up work and know-how to clean the chimney more practically when compared with independent manipulations.
In a private home
Fires associated with chimneys and furnaces have become somewhat frequent, and people have become much more serious about prevention. There are entire teams of specially trained people belonging to private firms.
The whole process can be done on its own, but this work is difficult to call dusty. In some situations you will need special equipment, such professionals always have it.
Because of such moments, most owners trust firms for which cleaning the chimney for the withdrawal of combustion products will not be difficult.
In an apartment building
Utilities often carry out periodic audits in such buildings, but since the chimney sweep profession was on the verge of extinction, state institutions also resort to private organizations.
Although modern models are quite practical and thought through for more than one year, there were improvements, reconstruction, but they also need to be periodically cleaned. This service is expensive, but the result can be seen almost immediately after the experts complete the task.
It is quite easy to find such people, after the fires associated with littering, increased, professional private firms appeared a lot, in any city you can find similar ads.
The frequency of cleaning
Immediately clean the pipe should be at the display of the first signs, regardless of when the check was carried out because the reverse thrust is dangerous for human health. But the generally accepted recommendations read:
- For boilers is produced at least once a year.
- Cooking and heating equipment will require 3 inspections a year.
- Brickworks need to be inspected quarterly.
- Asbestos fixtures once a year.
I advise you to pay special attention to the heating season, a week before it starts, it is worth checking the passage of the channel, directly in the middle and after the completion of the equipment.
Especially this advice will be useful to owners who use furnaces or fireplaces intensively enough. Strong frosts and cold characterize some regions.
How to clean the chimney with your own hands
The process will require a lot of effort. People who are heights should refuse to perform because manipulation cannot perform without visiting the roof. It should also be noted that the work is dirty, pre-prepared clothes, which will not be sorry to get dirty.
Basic accessories will be required:
- Rope for insurance.
There are several ways to clean the chimney of the furnace and get the maximum result. Each person can choose any method they like at their discretion.
Mechanical cleaning of the chimney from soot with your hands
Environmental cleanliness is the main plus of the way. No chemistry in the perf work performance required, for manipulation often needs to have a weight, ruff, or hard brushes with a long handle.
By manipulating yourself, it will be possible to significantly save the family’s budget to control the correctness and quality of work performance. The only danger to health will be height. Falling from it, you can get a lot of unpleasant damage.
How to make a ruff
This device can be manufactured quickly enough. The market already has ready-made prefabricated elements for such purposes. The price for them will be available to every average family.
But if there is no desire to splurge, it is worth making a ruff to clean the chimney from a plastic bottle to achieve the maximum result, you can create a metal tip, but you need to pre-measure the diameter of the pipe; otherwise, it will get stuck in the middle of the channel.
It is important to make large deposits of soot before the collapse of all partitions by the loader and then achieve the ideal cleanliness of the walls with a ruff.
How to clean the chimney chemically.
Special means of such a plan are quite a lot, from the range you can choose any method you like, the products differ on such characteristics:
When burning in the furnace, active gases are released, which impact age, but the process requires maximum accuracy and care. Small particles fly into the atmosphere together with smoke, and large after the work of manipulation can be easily removed along with ash.
One of the strong means for cleaning the chimney can be called the drug PCC. It does not need to be unpacked. The composition is quite toxic. It includes copper vitriol, nitrate, and small coal. After forming the reaction in the pipe, soot from the walls will literally slide into the oven. It should be eliminated along with the residues of combustion products.
Cleaning the curved chimney from soot
Such structures are quite rare. To work with their needs to be taken seriously, some areas can be safely called difficult to access. Such variants of execution can be found in those buildings, which did not allow the installation of a flat pipe because of their form.
Before installing the system, install special hatches to not think long about how to clean the chimney of the bath or other structure; otherwise, to be completely sure that the work is done qualitatively will not work.
More than 2 knees experts do not advise; it will inevitably lead to big problems, regardless of the material from which the device is made.
By the way, a good means for cleaning will be “Poleshko.”
Folkways of cleaning chimneys of furnaces and fireplaces from soot
To clean boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces, people have long come up with an effective way. For its implementation, you can choose several options here are:
- Cooked salt.
- Potatoes, you can accumulate just cleaning of it.
- Powder-type mothballs.
- The wood is aspen.
The principle of folk methods is quite simple. Pairs can corrugate soot, which is carried through a pipe into the atmosphere when burning a furnace or equipment. Salts need to be purchased in the amount of 0.5 kilos for melting, and they can emit sodium chloride and create an undesirable atmosphere for accumulation.
Such folk remedies as mothballs and starch operate on the same principle, but with a dry wasp, the situation is different. The elements are suitable for cleaning the chimney from dust deposits because they simply burn out because of the high temperatures of burning natural wood.
How to reduce pollution to a minimum
In order not to wonder how to clean the chimney in case of complications in equipment operation, it is worth thinking about preventing the pipe.
After the heating season, you need to do an audit; regardless of the thrust state, all design elements should be checked. For solid-fuel furnaces, it is worth considering the use of saline solutions, and they perfectly remove even minimal pollution.
Some processes will not require much effort and time, and the channel will always be clean and will allow the use of equipment specified in the efficiency of the document. Thanks to advice from specialists, it is possible to significantly reduce the search for information to solve an urgent problem and correct the situation in a timely manner.